Tuesday, May 31, 2011

DIY Lego Wall Art

I started with a picture frame

some white cardstock, a pencil, hot glue, and


my son's left over legos (I had permission to use these)  :). 
 
I freehanded a faint outline of his initial onto the cardstock, then used my hot glue gun, small lego pieces and started gluing away.

This was my first draft.  I felt like it looked too skimpy. 

So I did a lot more filling in and even layering some of the lego pieces.  

My advice on this project (after the fact):  Use a standard font for the letter.  At first I thought I wanted a slanted cartoon-like letter shape but after the first draft (above), I realized that a standard font would look better.  Start with larger pieces and create the outline of the letter first, then fill in.  Vary the pieces, don't line them up.  Stick to 2 - 4 colors.  Don't bother with the glue strings until the end, then you can pluck them off. 

Here it is in my son's room.  He loves it!

Linking to:     My Photo
The Shabby Nest

6 comments:

  1. Cute! My son would love something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! My son is Lego crazy. I should make one. Visiting from Shabby Nest!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, the wholе thіng is goіng well here аnd ofсourѕe evеry one
    is ѕharing infoгmatiοn, that's in fact fine, keep up writing.

    My blog :: raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my weblog
    thus i got here to go back the desire?.I am attempting to in finding things to improve my web site!

    I suppose its ok to make use of a few of your
    ideas!!

    Here is my homepage; nude massage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this idea! I’m curious if you removed the grass from the photo frame?

    ReplyDelete