Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blankets, A Girl's Best Friend

I took at trip to the fabric store to search for color to add to my Family Room and brought my 2 girls.  While I went to the back of the store to search through the home decor fabric the girls did their own browsing.  It wasn't long before they were running up to me so excited to have found the 'perfect' fabric for a blanket.  I couldn't say no, how often do I see my kids excited about fabric?  The good news is that I did manage to find some really nice fabrics for the Family Room--at only $3 a yard!  (Post about the Family Room progress coming soon.)

I got home so excited to start making panels for the Family Room but there was no way I was going to be able to do anything before the blankets were done.  So I spent that evening making 2 blankets (2 mom points for me).

Blanket #1.  Double-layer fleece blanket.  I purchased 1 1/2 yards of each color, lined them up and stitched up 3 sides and most of the 4th side, leaving a 5 inch opening.  There is no need to put right sides together with fleece because both sides are 'finished'.  I flipped the blanket inside-out, pushed out the corners, and hand stitched the 5 inch opening.  The 1 1/2 yards makes a blanket that is close to the size of a throw.



Blanket #2.  Small snuggle blanket.  I got 1/2 yard of the pink faux-fur.  For this blanket, I just folded it in half with finished sides together.  I stitched the remaining 3 sides leaving a 3 inch opening.  Once again I flipped the blanket inside-out, pushed out the corners and hand stitched the 3 inch opening closed.



Not sure if its obvious, but both girls LOVE their blankets.

Linking to:


2 comments:

  1. great job on the blanets, my kids love blankets too. thanks for sharing this at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling children. Wish I could sew. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete