Monday, June 27, 2011

Garden Update

We posted a couple of months ago about how we built a garden box.  Well, here is an update:

Tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, basil, and pumpkin are all alive, well, thriving, and fighting each other for space.  No actual fruit or veggies yet but the tomatoes and pumpkin are flowering and tiny cucumbers have sprouted.  The basil is out of control, we could have a whole basil salad, I need to find more things to make with basil!

I also added some garden stakes (99 cents each at KMart) but well need a better garden trellis system.

Looking back on the build of this little box I am quite pleased on how well the newspaper lining is working.  We didn't remove any sod from inside the box (skipped this step in favor of laziness!) and instead put a thick lining of newspaper followed by the garden soil.  I haven't seen any weeds (grass) popping through that liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment